Thursday, January 28, 2010

Harman Kardon AVR 525 R.I.P

My local search for repair service for my Harman Kardon AVR 525 turned up only one shop willing to look at my dying centerpiece to my home theater, and it was not a very good diagnosis. I am looking at $40 just to have the privilege of dropping it off to the shop for a diagnosis.

After describing the problem to the shop it was clear to me after hearing the response that there are many things that could be wrong with the receiver. Could be a mechanical volume control problem, could be in the digital circuit, could be a processor or logic board problem. I was just imagining having to pay for diagnosis in each of those areas at $80/hr and still not having the receiver working right. Not to mention the parts that would have to be special ordered, estimated at $100. No, I think I will have to retire my old friend and get a new receiver. May he rest in peace, we have been through many movies and many hours of music together.

No comments:

Post a Comment